Breast Cancer Care
No one knows how to care for a breast cancer patient better than the healthcare provider who has been where you are. That’s the concept behind the care provided through the Breast Center at Providence Little Company of Mary Medical Center San Pedro.
From our state-of-the-art digital mammography, ultrasound and breast MRI, to our support groups and specialized programs, each step in your breast cancer journey has the support of women who’ve shared your experience.
Our commitment to quality patient care includes a team led by a surgical oncologist. A surgical oncologist is a specially-trained cancer surgeon, offering a very high degree of specialization and expertise in complex cancer cases. In a recent study of 29,666 women, treatment by a surgical oncologist resulted in a 33% reduction in the risk of death at five years, compared to care delivered by a general surgeon.*
Our comprehensive program also includes:
- Low cost or, for uninsured women, free screening mammograms supported by the Soroptimist International LA Harbor
- Digital breast mammography, ultrasound and breast MRI performed by fellowship-trained radiologists for maximum comfort and accurate diagnosis and treatment
- Weekly multi-disciplinary breast team conference for comprehensive patient case treatment planning led by a surgical oncologist
- Breast rehabilitation and Lymphedema teams to help patients speed recovery and minimize the specific, personal complications and after-effects of breast cancer treatment
- Weekly breast cancer support groups facilitated by the Cancer Support Community.For us, breast cancer is personal. With our program, you’ll get the support you need and people with whom to share your journey.
1 in 8 women will develop breast cancer in the course of her lifetime.
For a referral to our breast center or our breast specialists, please call 1-888-HEALING (432-5464).
*Annals of Surgical Oncology, 2005, 10:606-615
Women pictured above:
Front Row (left to right):
Director of Business Development
RN Case Manager
Jackie Prideaux, RN
Labor and delivery
PMI Practice Manager
back Row (left to right):
LVN Infection Control
Pat Forrester, RN
Director of Nutritional Food Services