Certified Stroke Center
Our medical team coordinates with paramedics in the field to begin effective treatment as soon as possible.
Depending on the type of stroke, it's location, and a patient's personal medical history, treatments for stroke may include:
- "Clot-buster" medications
- Medications to reduce brain swelling
- Medications to help protect the brain
- Life support measures
The specially trained physicians and staff affiliated with the Stroke Center at Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center'Äôs Hycy and Howard Hill Neuroscience Institute are at the forefront of neurological care in the San Fernando and Santa Clarita Valleys, providing compassionate care with state-of-the-art technology. Our full spectrum of care for Stroke patients includes diagnosis, medical and surgical treatment, rehabilitation, support services and continuing education.
Heart Attack: STEMI Receiving Center
The State Department of Health Services and Los Angeles County Emergency Medical Services Agency have designated our emergency department as a STEMI Receiving Center (ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction), or heart attack treatment center. Patients who show symptoms of an acute heart attack (or acute myocardial infarction) when tested by paramedics with an EKG are brought to the nearest STEMI Receiving Center for care. Our Emergency Department has met the rigorous guidelines to receive this designation, including meeting the "90-minute" goal of restoring blood flow. The STEMI Receiving Team in the Emergency Department coordinates closely with local paramedics, rapidly mobilizing our Providence Coronary Catheterization Team, interventional cardiologists, and cardiothoracic surgeons to ensure the best possible outcomes.
Pediatric Emergency Care
Our Emergency Department has received Emergency Department Approved for Pediatrics (EDAP) certification by the Los Angeles County Department of Health Services, Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Agency. When the 911 system is activated, sick and injured children are taken to hospitals with this designation first.
Our Emergency Department has met the rigorous pediatric emergency care standards required for certification, including:
- Board-certified emergency department physicians
- Nurses and technicians specially trained in pediatric emergency care
- Staffing provision for pediatric consultation to support pediatric emergency care services
- Availability of essential pediatric equipment, supplies and medications
- Implementation of protocols for the treatment of the abused child, critically injured children and those children requiring transfer to a specialized care center