Diabetes Patient and Family Support
The Diabetes treatment team at Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center offers patients and their families a number of services, both inpatient and outpatient. For our inpatients, this includes individualized basic education (diabetes “survival skills”) including blood glucose monitoring, medications/insulin and nutrition. Educational materials are available in English, Spanish and Armenian. We also provide assistance with diabetes-related or blood glucose concerns during hospitalization.
On the outpatient side, we provide Individualized sessions and group classes. We encourage family and caregiver attendance for support. We also host an annual community diabetes fair with guest speakers, including doctors, dieticians, and endocrinologists.
Outpatient Support Group
Our outpatient diabetes support group are held from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m. on the last Thursday of the month, in the Acute Rehab Conference Room on the 5th Floor of the North Tower. The schedule and suggested topics for 2012 are shown below.
- May 31 - Food Glycemic Index
- June 28 - Diabetes Update
- July 26 - Diabetes Oral Medications
- August 30 - Insulin and how it works
- September 27 - Summer Social (Dinner)
- October 25 - Carbohydrate Counting & Label Reading
- November 29 - No meeting, instead attend the Annual Diabetes Community Fair
- December - Holiday Concerns (To be scheduled by the group)
Diabetes Self Management Class
Our diabetes self management classes feature 2-part classes, held monthly on 2 consecutive Saturdays in the Lockheed Conference Rooms B&C. The schedule for 2012 is shown below.
- May 5 & 12 (Saturdays), 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
- June 9 & 16 (Saturdays), 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
- July 21 & 28 (Saturdays), 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
- August 11 & 18 (Saturdays), 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
- September 8 & 15 (Saturdays), 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
- October 13 & 20 (Saturdays), 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
- November 10 & 17 (Saturdays), 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
- December: No classes scheduled
For more information, please call 818-847-3277.