Cancer Patient Spiritual Care
Providence Health & Services' interfaith approach to spiritual care allows chaplains to serve the unique needs of patients, family members and staff of the health care community. The chaplains' focus is on supporting the deeper spiritual meaning and understanding of suffering and sickness, health and wellness. We offer this ministry through direct service, education and consultation in the compassion and charge of God's love.
At the Disney Family Cancer Center a Chaplain serves as part of your oncology care team. The Oncology Chaplain supports patients, their families, and communities to:
- identify and draw upon their own spiritual resources
- reflect on values and make decisions
- understand the reason for an Advance Directive and assist with preparation of an Advance Directive
- provide emotional support, spiritual support, and listening presence
- prepare for and/or debrief after difficult events
- seek healing of mind, body, spirit and personal peace
- participate in guided meditation
- participate in labyrinth walks or assist you in using the labyrinth
- connect with Spiritual Care providers of your own faith tradition for specific needs
- gain information through periodic community educational or informational programs.
Our staff is composed of women and men who are professionally trained chaplains. Our department also includes trained volunteers and chaplaincy students. Our chaplains are assigned throughout the hospital and work in conjunction with the health care team to serve you.