Respite Bed Program
The Respite Bed Program provides “a place to stay” for post-hospitalization homeless patients transitioning out of acute care. Referred patients receive basic medical oversight at OPCC in a clean, safe environment. The average stay when recovering from minor physical injuries or illnesses is about three weeks. Co-located at OPCC is a Venice Family Clinic site, staffed by physicians with expertise in street medicine where follow-up outpatient services are conveniently provided.
As a comprehensive homeless service agency, OPCC can connect patients to social and supportive services, and transitional or permanent housing.
- Homeless individual with an acute medical condition and identifiable end point of care
- Independent in mobility (walker, wheelchair accepted if able to transfer self)
- Independent in Activities of Daily Living (ADL’s) and medication administration
- Continent of bladder and bowel
- Medically and psychiatrically stable at discharge
Additional Admission Information
- Patient will not be admitted solely for the purpose of housing and/or non-medical case management
- Patient must be given medications in supply to match number of days at respite care program
- Referrals accepted Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Who is Not Eligible: Exclusion Criteria
- Patient is not homeless
- Unstable medically and/or psychiatrically
- Non-ambulatory, dependent in ADL’s and/or incontinent of bladder and bowel
- Combative or aggressive behavior