About Saint John's Health Center Foundation
To provide leadership and philanthropic support to Saint John’s Health Center and John Wayne Cancer Institute, that serve as catalysts for exceptional health care and research.
Incorporated in 1975 as a separate tax-exempt 501(c)(3) corporation to advance the mission and goals of the Health Center, the Saint John’s Heath Center Foundation is governed by an all volunteer board of directors and trustees, who bring their leadership skills to ensure that Saint John’s Health Center is here for their community – now and in the future.
Trustees work tirelessly with the Foundation staff to vision, plan, initiate and maintain structured programs of support for the Health Center’s capital, equipment, programmatic needs, community outreach and to carry forward the Health Center’s mission of compassionate care.
When the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth came west to build Saint John’s, generous neighbors helped these pioneering women purchase the land upon which Saint John’s Health Center campus stands. The Foundation grew out of the original Saint John’s Hospital Guild founded in 1947 to carry forward the mission of compassionate care set forth by the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth. That mission is continued now through the healing ministry of Providence Health & Services.
The Foundation is the chief financial engine contributing to state-of-the-art facilities, equipment, technology, programs and services at the Health Center as well as ground-breaking cancer research at the John Wayne Cancer Institute. Philanthropic efforts have successfully raised more than $600 million dollars, including $370 million dollars to rebuild the Health Center after the 1994 Northridge earthquake. Current and upcoming campaigns include support for Saint John’s as the Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement Center (TAVR) for Providence Southern California, a Neuroscience Institute to serve Providence Southern California and beyond, and the development of the South Campus as a Westside health and wellness destination. South Campus will include a new site for the John Wayne Cancer Institute and the Child and Family Development Center, visitor housing, and retail space.