Volunteers are Making a Difference
At Providence Saint John's Health Center, volunteers make a real difference because they become an integral part of the Saint John's family through a carefully designed service program that allows them to perform many hours of assistance in carefully selected areas. We are truly blessed to have an amazing group of volunteers who support our Mission by helping to create an exceptional place for health and healing.
Providence Saint John's Health Center has more than 340 volunteers ranging in age from 16 to 97 years old. Our volunteers come from diverse backgrounds and bring with them varying experience and skills. New volunteers begin their journey with us every month, joining those who have served our community for many years. One of our volunteers has been with us for over 43 years!
Providence Saint John's volunteers can be seen throughout the health center supporting our patients and staff in many ways. They are assigned to at least 35 different areas where they perform an array of duties. Depending on individual interests, some of our volunteers work directly with patients and others provide invaluable assistance in hospital support areas. We are always looking to add dedicated and compassionate members to our volunteer family.
Opportunities for Service Include:
- Reception areas
- Transport team
- Office support
- Magazine/Book program
- Surgery waiting room
- Gift shop
- Nursing units
- Nifty Needlers
- Paula Kent Meehan Pawsitive Pet Program
- Emergency department (limited availability)
- Child and Family Development Center (limited availability)
Benefits of Volunteering
- Free parking during your hours of service
- A free coffee, tea, water or soda during your hours of service
- Discount on purchases in our cafeteria
- Free annual flu shot
- Invitation to our annual volunteer recognition event
Personal rewards many of our volunteers experience include:
- An ability to give back to the community
- Staying active and engaged
- Exploring the field of medicine
- Making new friends
- Fulfilling a community service requirement
- Learning new skills
- Volunteers report a sense of pride and accomplishment once they see that they really can make a difference!
For more information on how to become part of this rewarding experience, please call the Volunteer Service Office at 310-829-8438.