The Welcome Baby program believes that every mom and baby deserve a healthy life. Every day we teach, validate, support, and empower moms and moms-to-be to strengthen the bond between them and their babies. We do this, because we believe that an educated mother - regardless of where she lives or how much money she makes - is the key in raising strong healthy children for a better community.
Welcome Baby is a program funded by First 5 LA. This program is offered at no cost to women of all income levels who plan to deliver at Providence Little Company of Mary Medical Center in San Pedro or Providence Holy Cross Medical Center in Mission Hills, and who live in Los Angeles County. All families delivering at one of these participating Medical Centers will be offered a Welcome Baby hospital visit at the time of her baby’s birth. Families that live within one of the First 5 LA Best Start communities of Wilmington, Central Long Beach, Panorama City, or Northeast San Fernando Valley can enroll during her pregnancy (up to 38 weeks) or in the hospital after delivery.
As part of Welcome Baby, a woman receives:
- An in-hospital visit where she will receive assistance with breastfeeding and information about bonding and attachment, taking care of her baby, and resources her family may need as she transitions into motherhood;
- An in-home visit from a Registered Nurse within the first few days after the baby is born to assess both the mother and baby, provide postpartum recovery education, and breastfeeding assistance, if needed.
- One-on-one appointments with a personal Parent Coach in her home after the baby is born (mothers living in Wilmington, Central Long Beach, Panorama City and Northeast San Fernando Valley also receive prenatal home visits);
- Baby- and mom-friendly items such as thermometers, nursing pillows, toys and baby-proofing supplies for the home;
- Information to help her nurture, care and support the healthy development of her newborn;
- Assistance with coordinating health insurance coverage and appointments for her new baby;
- Help with breastfeeding and general infant feeding from a trained Certified Lactation Educator; and
- Referrals to additional resources in her neighborhood to help her and her baby.
To learn more about Welcome Baby, to see what activities you qualify for,or to sign up for the program, please call 310-514-5444 (South Bay) or 818-496-4173 (Valley).
You can also visit us at First5LA.org/Welcome-Baby.