Five Providence Los Angeles Area hospitals recognized by U.S. News & World Report for specialties, procedures and treating acute conditions
August 14, 2018
U.S. News & World Report today recognized five Providence medical centers in the Los Angeles area among California’s best hospitals, noting high performance in a total of 13 specialties.
The annual Best Hospitals rankings, now in its 29th year, are designed to assist patients and their doctors in making informed decisions about where to receive care for life-threatening conditions or for common elective procedures.
“Just 158 hospitals, or about 3 percent of the more than 4,500 hospitals we evaluated, were nationally ranked in even one specialty,” said Ben Harder, managing editor and chief of health analysis at U.S. News.
U.S. News evaluated hospitals across 16 specialties and nine procedures and conditions. In rankings by state and metro area, U.S. News recognized hospitals as high performing in one or more areas of care.
- Providence Little Company of Mary Medical Center Torrance, named a Best Regional Hospital, was ranked nationally for endocrinology and treatment of diabetes. It also was rated high performing for treatment of congestive heart failure, colon issues, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, geriatric and orthopedics.
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center in Burbank earned a ranking as a Best Specialty Hospital and honored as high performing for five specialties – abdominal aortic aneurysm, coronary artery bypass grafting, congestive heart failure, COPD and colon care.
- Providence Saint John’s Health Center in Santa Monica, was named a Best Regional Hospital and as high performing for the procedures and conditions for treatment of colon cancer and lung issues and for hip and knee replacements.
- Providence Holy Cross Medical Center in Mission Hills, also a Best Regional Hospital, was honored as high performing in four specialties -- gastroenterology and GI surgery, pulmonology, urology and congestive heart failure.
- Providence Tarzana Medical Center, a Best Regional Hospital, was listed for excelling in treatment of congestive heart failure, colon issues, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and geriatrics.
The U.S. News Best Hospitals methodologies in most areas of care are based largely or entirely on objective measures such as risk-adjusted survival and readmission rates, volume, patient experience, patient safety and quality of nursing, among other care-related indicators.
Best Hospitals was produced by U.S. News with RTI International, a leading research organization based in Research Triangle Park, N.C.
For information about the 2018-19 rankings, please visit our FAQ. The rankings will be published in the U.S. News “Best Hospitals 2019” guidebook (ISBN 9781931469906), available for pre-order now from the U.S. News Online Store and for purchase at other bookstores in late September.
For more information, visit Best Hospitals and use #BestHospitals on Facebook and Twitter.