Seeking Treatment for Concussions

April 02, 2014

Whether your child is riding bikes with buddies or playing an organized sport, it’s smart to know when— and where—to seek help if a head injury occurs.

P. John Georgio, M.D., an urgent care sports medicine physician with Providence Medical Institute, offers the following advice.

When to call 911 or go to the ER:

  • Loss of movement in a limb
  • Loss of vision or double vision
  • Weakness
  • Vomiting
  • Headache out of proportion to the injury

When to go to an urgent care center or an emergency department with a rapid medical evaluation or “fast track” process:

  • Feeling tired or foggy
  • Not as “sharp” as usual
  • Feeling “off”