Minimally Invasive Joint Replacement Surgery
Millions of Americans suffer from hip, knee and/or shoulder pain. Many are surprised to learn that there are minimally invasive surgery treatment options for many of the common causes of hip, knee and shoulder pain. At Providence Holy Cross, we offer minimally invasive joint replacement surgery - performed by highly trained physicians. Our physicians work with each and every patient to ensure this is the right treatment option for their joint pain.
Minimally invasive joint replacement surgery can accomplish everything that a traditional replacement surgery does, but through a smaller incision (usually only three inches) with better outcomes and higher patient satisfaction. In joint replacement surgery, the damaged ends of the bones and cartilage are replaced with implants that are shaped to restore more natural joint movement and function. This is a proven treatment option that allows most people to return to their normal activities.
Advantages and Benefits
- Smaller incisions, usually about three to five inches in length (traditional incision is 12 inches)
- Smaller scars and less pain
- Faster recovery and less postoperative pain
- Reduced blood loss during surgery
- Less damage to the soft tissues, such as muscles and tendons
- Improved implants that allow for more natural joint movement
- Faster rehabilitation and return to normal activities
- Shorter hospital stay
Recovery and Rehabilitation
Recovering from joint replacement surgery is now much faster, thanks to these new, minimally-invasive techniques. Many patients are walking with assistance the day of surgery. Many can resume their normal daily activities within 4 to 6 weeks.