Mother and Baby Care
A Baby-Friendly Hospital
Baby-Friendly hospitals, like Providence Holy Cross, have taken special steps to create the best possible environment for successful breastfeeding. Our hospital has implemented policies and practices to help parents make informed choices about how they feed and care for their babies. Baby Friendly is about breastfeeding for the health of mother and baby that lasts a lifetime.
Baby Friendly care provides a supportive, intimate environment to enhance the bonding between mother and baby for success in breastfeeding.
- Minimal separation of mother and baby
- Rooming in for mothers and infants 24 hours a day
- Skin-to-skin contact immediately after birth
- Staff trained in breastfeeding support
- Education of families on bonding with baby
Providence Holy Cross was the first hospital in the San Fernando, Santa Clarita, Simi and Antelope Valleys to earn the “Baby Friendly” designation in 2007. More importantly, it is our goal to provide you and your baby with the best start in life.
Breastfeeding Makes a Difference
- Breastfeeding provides infants with human milk and gives them the most complete nutrition possible
- Children who are breastfed have fewer and less serious illnesses than those who never receive breast milk
- Children who are breastfed also have better brain and nervous system development
- Mothers who choose to breastfeed are healthier
- Mother and baby enjoy the emotional benefi ts of a special and close relationship formed through breastfeeding
For more information about our Lactation Education and Support Center, please call 818-847-4142.