Providence Little Company of Mary Foundation Awarded Grant to Help Insure More Southern Californians
July 28, 2015
Funding to Educate Public about Covered California Insurance Options
The Providence Little Company of Mary Foundation has been awarded a $125,000 grant by Covered California to support it 2015-16 Navigator Program. The program is a partnership with community organizations, such as Providence, that are successful in reaching California’s diverse populations to educate and enroll consumers in healthcare programs.
Providence healthcare promoters – or promotoras – reach out to underserved populations, including those who never have had health insurance, do not speak English well, who lost health insurance coverage when they lost their jobs and those who work at jobs that don’t provide insurance, to educate them on accessing health coverage through Covered California. The promotoras speak both English and Spanish, and are certified by the state to educate and enroll the public in health insurance options.
“Our mission for many years now has been to help the underserved and underinsured residents of Southern California to understand and enroll in healthcare plans,” said Justin Joe, manager of community health access, Providence Health & Services, Southern California. “Every year we’ve been seeing our health insurance enrollment numbers grow. This generous grant will enable us to expand our reach even further to help even more people throughout the community.”
Providence promotoras are certified enrollment counselors who assist consumers through a variety of outreach, education, enrollment, post enrollment and renewal support services including, but not limited to:
- Informing Covered California eligible consumers of the availability and benefits of obtaining healthcare coverage;
- Promoting the value of purchasing healthcare coverage;
- Motivating consumers to act;
- Helping consumers to shop and compare plans;
- Facilitating enrollment into Covered California Health Insurance Plans;
- Assisting consumers with the Covered California eligible renewal process; and
- Providing post enrollment outreach and support to Covered California eligible consumers.
Covered California’s third open enrollment period begins on Nov. 1 and runs until Jan. 31.