Awards and Accreditations
We Earned the Awards. We All Reap the Rewards.
From state-of-the art care to labor and delivery, Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center provides the people in our community with a host of services they can’t get anywhere else in the Valley. We take this responsibility to heart, and are committed to providing the best possible level of care. That means we actively pursue awards and certifications that require rigorous adherence to the highest standards of care, and have been awarded the following:
- US News & World Report Best Regional Hospital (2016-17)
- US News & World Report Top Performing: COPD, Heart Failure, Hip Replacement, Knee Replacement (2016-17)
- Healthgrades® Distinguished Hospital Award – Clinical Excellence™ (2014-2017)
- Healthgrades® General Surgery Excellence Award™ (2014-2016)
- Healthgrades® America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Spine Surgery™ (2015)
- Healthgrades® Spine Surgery Excellence Award™ (2015)
- Healthgrades® One of America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Critical Care™ (2015)
- Healthgrades® Five-Star Recipient for Total Knee Replacement (2013-2016)
- Healthgrades® Five-Star Recipient for Spinal Fusion Surgery (2011-2016)
- Healthgrades® Pulmonary Care Excellence Award™ (2014-2017)
- Healthgrades® Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (2014-2016)
- Healthgrades® Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Pneumonia (2014-2016)
- Healthgrades® Gastrointestinal Care Excellence Award™ (2015)
- Healthgrades® Top 10% in the Nation for General Surgery (2015)
- Healthgrades® Five-Star Recipient for Esophageal/Stomach Surgeries (2013-2016)
- Healthgrades® Five-Star Recipient for Colorectal Surgeries (2013-2016)
- Healthgrades® Critical Care Excellence Award™ (2015)
- Healthgrades® Top 5% in the Nation for Critical Care in (2015)
- Designated as a Baby-Friendly Hospital by Baby-Friendly USA, Inc. (2016-2017)
- Women’s Choice Award® America’s Best Hospital for Obstetrics (2017)
- Becker’s Hospital Review – 2016 100 Best Hospital and Health Systems with Great Women’s Programs
- Providence Saint Joseph Breast Health Center is accredited by the American College of Radiology (ACR) and achieved their Breast Imaging Center of Excellence (BICOE) designation.
- Recipient of the Joint Commission for Advanced Primary Stroke Center's Gold Seal of Approval
- Bariatric Center of Excellence, by American College of Surgeons (2007-2014)
- Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence, by American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (2007-2013)
- Accredited by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC)
- Cancer Center is accredited by the American College of Surgeons' Commission on Cancer (CoC).
- Accredited by the Association of Community Cancer Centers (ACC).
- Breast Imaging Center of Excellence - American College of Radiology's Commission on Quality and Safety and the Commission on Breast Imaging
- "Most Innovative Use of RFID" Award -- RFID Journal (International award) The new Roy and Patricia Disney Family Cancer Center at Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center won top national honors for its use of a state-of-the-art radio-frequency identification system designed to enhance patient comfort. Application of this cutting-edge technology allows patients to control lighting, music, temperature and even video in their exam and treatment rooms at the Disney Family Cancer Center.
- "Best Cancer Center" - Daily News reader's poll
- SAVI Center of Excellence Designation as a Center of Excellence recognizes a healthcare provider's dedication to education, training and experience in Accelerated Partial Breast Irradiation. To qualify, a facility's physicians, medical physicists and clinical staff are required to complete a comprehensive training and education program in order to demonstrate proficiency in delivering radiation therapy with SAVI. As a Center of Excellence, the provider has also expressed a commitment to patient education, advocacy and awareness of advanced breast cancer treatments.
- The Joint Commission Certification for Advanced Inpatient Diabetes Management
- American Diabetes Association (ADA) Recognized Diabetes Self-Management Education Program
- STEMI Designation - Named one of Los Angeles County's first designated receiving centers of heart attack victims
- Providence Health & Services President's Award for Excellence-Highest honor for operational excellence within Providence Health & Services for treatment of heart attack patients
- Blue Distinction for Cardiac Care from Blue Cross California
- Five-Star Rated for Coronary Bypass Surgery for 2 years in a row (2011-2012) (HealthGrades)
- Five-Star Rated for Treatment of Heart Failure in 2012 (HealthGrades)
- Five-Star Rated for Spine Surgery in 2012 (HealthGrades)
- Five-Star Rated for Back and Neck Surgery (Spinal Fusion) for 2 years in a row (2011-2012) (HealthGrades)
- Received Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) accreditation for Acute Rehabilitation.
- Gold Seal of Approval™ from The Joint Commission for Advanced Primary Stroke Centers
- Providence Health & Services President's Award for Excellence-Highest honor for operational excellence within Providence Health & Services for Stroke Care
- Gold Plus Performance Achievement Award from the American Stroke Association and was recognized in U.S. News and World Report's renowned America's Best Hospitals review.
- HealthGrades Stroke Care Excellence Award™ 2009
- Valley's only hospital-based Accredited Vascular Lab
- Recipient of the HealthGrades Gynecologic Surgery Excellence Award™ for 2011
- HealthGrades Maternity Care Excellence Award ™ 2010/2011, 2009/2010
- Five-Star rates for Maternity Care for 9 years in a row (2003-2011)
- Ranked among the top 10% in the Nation for Gynecologic Surgery in 2011
- Five-Star Rated for Gynecologic Surgery in 2011 (HealthGrades)
- "Celebrate Our Partners" Award -- One Legacy - for achieving 88% donation conversion rate
- Hospital Compare.org -- PSJMC earned the highest rating of area hospitals on a key question used to gauge patient satisfaction, according to recently released figures on a popular health care web site. According to the consumer-oriented HospitalCompare.org, Providence Saint Joseph landed in the 76th percentile - six points above the state average and four points above its closest local competitor - when patients responding to a post-discharge survey were asked their likelihood of recommending the hospital. The state average is the 70th percentile; the national average the 68th percentile.
- Best Hospital in the San Fernando Valley - Los Angeles Times Reader's Choice Poll, June 2011