At the conclusion of this course, participants should be able to:
- Define the changing trends in 2016 for screening and diagnosis of cancer
- Discuss the current status of new treatments for cancer
- Understand the role of minimally invasive surgery for solid tumors to improve quality of life
- Recognize the role of novel personalized and targeted therapies
Colon Cancer: Molecular to Immune Profiling: The Road to Precision Medicine
- Discuss current methods to stage and treat colon cancer
- Review methods to personalize the treatment of patients with colon cancer
- Summarize the role of molecular and immune profiling.
Melanoma: Prevention and Diagnosis
- Discuss updates in risk factors in Melanoma
- Screening modalities in Melanoma
Surgical Management of Melanoma in the Modern Era
- Review the optimal, evidence-based treatment of newly diagnosed patients with melanoma, including the indications for sentinel lymph node biopsy
- Discuss the management of recurrent or metastatic melanoma in the modern, multidisciplinary era
- Discuss ongoing research into innovative therapies for the future
Personalized Brain Tumor Treatment: The Roles of Minimally Invasive Surgery and Focused Radiotherapy
- Discuss current indications and methods for minimally invasive brain tumor surgery.
- Understand the role of tissue procurement in designing targeted brain tumor therapies
- Discuss current indications for focused radiotherapy/radiosurgery
Novel Approaches and Personalized Treatments for Brain Cancers
- Review of treatments for brain cancers
- Update on Clinical trials for brain cancers
- Review of Optune device and immunotherapy
Thyroid Nodules and Cancer: A New Paradigm, Less is More
- Discuss current methods used to diagnose thyroid cancer including ultrasound and molecular testing
- Review new American Thyroid Association guidelines for extent of surgery and RAI
- Discuss long-term follow-up with Thyroglobulin trends
The Immuno- Oncology Revolution: Melanoma and Beyond
- Overview of recent major progress of targeted immunotherapy checkpoint antibodies (Anti-CTLA-4 and Anti-PD1) in the treatment of metastatic melanoma
- Review mechanism of action, efficacy in phase II and III clinical trials, immune related toxicity and kinetics and durability of response of Checkpoint Inhibitor
- Review recent clinical data with combination Anti-CTLA-4 and Anti-PD1 blockade in metastatic melanoma
- Review the paradigm shift of Immuno-Oncology in the treatment of melanoma new indications of these immunotherapies across other cancers
Dave Hoon, M.Sc., Ph.D.
The Liquid Biopsy: Read for Primetime?
- What are circulating tumor cells (CTCs) and how are they measured?
- What are cell-free nucleic acids (cfNAs)and how are they assessed?
- What are the advantages in precision molecular medicine utilizing CTC and cfNA?
Evolving Trends in Breast Cancer Management: Where Less May Be More
- Discuss evolving trends in breast cancer treatment
- Review current methods for individualizing breast cancer care
- Introduce novel breast cancer research
Rational for Screening and Treatment of Prostate Cancer
- Describe the current screening recommendations for prostate cancer
- Describe the current most common treatment modalities for prostate cancer and the success rates
- Describe the side effects of prostate cancer treatment in the modern era
What is the Current Role for Surgery to Treat Lung Cancer
- Know the comparison of percutaneous ablation, SBRT, and surgery for treatment of lung cancer
- Know the results of open versus minimally invasive surgery for lung cancer treatment
- Know the outcomes for pneumonectomy versus lobectomy versus segmentectomy
Providence Saint John’s Health Center (PSJHC) is accredited by the Institute for Medical Quality/California Medical Association (IMQ/CMA) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
PSJHC designates this live activity for a maximum of seven (7.0) AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This credit may also be applied to the CMA Certification in Continuing Medical Education.
For more information, please call, (310) 582-7192.
Shutters on the Beach
1 Pico Boulevard
Santa Monica, CA | map »